Right to request flexible working extended

02 January 2011
Right to request flexible working extended

This information is no longer current. For the most up-to-date position, please refer to our March blog post.

From April 2011, the right to request flexible working will be extended to apply to parents with children under 18. Currently it applies to those with children aged 17 or under, or those with disabled children aged 18 or under.

What it means for voluntary sector employers

  • Employers should have transparent systems for dealing with flexible working requests.
  • Managers should be sufficiently briefed to deal with these requests consistently in line with the organisation's policy.


A right to request flexible working is not an automatic right to work flexibly. However seek advice where you feel unable to accommodate a request,  for example by phoning the Acas helpline. You may wish to offer alternative arrangements to staff as a compromise - to reduce potential complaints and increase staff morale.

Please note that HRBird by its very nature offers general information. If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, speak to an HR professional or solicitor. Got a question on staff or volunteers? To submit an anonymous query for the HRBird blog, contact us.

< HRBird home 

Post a comment
Contact us
Follow HRBird on facebook
Follow HRBird on Twitter
RSS feed icon
©HRBird - All rights reserved